My more "legit" side

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

PureHost PureHell, by the PureHostage

Here is an explanaiton emailed me today as to why creating Subwebs in IIS6 on Server2003 does not work properly:
------------------------===========================
Hi Don, [OK, whatever]

I wanted to try to comment on how we've fixed your Subweb issues and why,
sometimes, these issues crop up.
[SOMETIMES? This issue has been going for 7 weeks straight]

One of the unique things about PureHost is that we have a redundant,
load-balanced architecture for our sites. At the web server level, we've got
between 5 and 7 Windows 2003/IIS6 boxes serving pages.
[I don't think he lost count, I think he means that there are at least 5 of 7 running, the others are there for redunancy sake OR they started with 7 machines, are down to 5, and soon he will be looking for a real job at goddady.com]. These boxes point to central network storage (so that when you update your files, it's update across all of the servers).
[EVERYBODY has load-balancing architecture if they have load-balancing networks]


For standard, run of the mill FrontPage usage, this stuff works fine.
[run-of-the-mill? Doesn't he mean out-of-the-box, ergo WORKING PROPERLY AND INSTALLED ACCORDING TO THE MANUAL?]
We've had to work with Microsoft to have them [OH, I THINK YOU HAD TO PAY THEM] put together some custom fixes for our setup
because we're doing thing slightly out of the norm for FrontPage.
[out of the norm, yes, just not out of the box - that is NOT what they mean when people say, "Think outside the box".]

[I have no idea what the HELL he is saying here, and neither does Microsoft engineers who worked with this guy, who "...tried working with them {Endurance Intl companies} to get them up to Certified SharePoint Provider level since last May, and gave up in December 2005...we weren't even sure who gave up first". I had a girlfriend like that for a year - or did she have me - It happens to companies, too.]


Subwebs are one of those things that don't work 100% the way they would if you
were running on a single webserver serving your data off of the C drive.
[THIS IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG AND LUDICROUS, and besides that, why would you want to F-UP the VERY reason we have Frontpage in the first place?]
If, for instance, you tried to change the permissions to turn off "use same permissions
as top level web", that would probably cause the Subweb issues to occur (because
of some particular permissions things we have to do to make FrontPage play
nicely with our centralized storage).
[MAYBE, but I LEAVE IT ALONE and DO NOT CHANGE IT AS HE SUGGESTS I may have - ever]


In this case [this one case, yeah right, whatever], we were able to get your Subweb working by recreating it.
[again, this is a recent email and 6 subwebs created, well 5 admittedly as a test to see if they knew what the hell they were doing and and to see what the hell I was still doing with them as a customer, and still no real fix]
It's a brute force solution, but it rectifies all of the permissions settings that are
unique to our environment and gets the site up and running again.
[YES, they recreate it, and recreate it, and recreate it, then they wait about a week, I go and check - everyday actually - and magically the subweb(s) is(are) working !!!!???? Yes, the "Brute Force" approach recitifies it for about 10 minutes tops. I know, because I brute forced it myself constantly - as they do, and then give up for about a week, and then I call again.]


I hope that helps clear up some of the questions about our FrontPage setup.
[NO, it actually clears up how holding companies work]
It's definitely unique to our environment, but a significant majority of the
FrontPage functionality works without a hitch. Some functionality (subwebs,
editable regions) work with some pecularities.
[UNIQUE to their environment, which must be on ****ING MARS OR VENUS! Editable regions? I hope he doesn't mean forms.....OMG, I think he does!]

[Actually, why am I getting this email after 7 weeks, I should think an email like this would be more comforting after 1 week of PureHell, maybe 2 at the worst.]

We're waiting with baited [delicious, if he knew how to spell, then again, the usage of this word is actually debaited amung scholors !] breath for IIS7 and the next-gen SharePoint technology. They're designed for scaleable web infrastructures like ours and we hope they'll help us to better take advantage of our platform.
[NExt-Gen? He must be talking about Vista 64 Public Beta, because that's the only time he's gona see IIS7. And scalable web infrasrtuctures? Doesn't he know about GARDENS? It is in the ****ING MANUAL of I I S 6 WTF? RTFM! The very phrase he is misuing is actually what II6 (sis) was built for! OMG!]


Regards,
Ryan T
PureHost Engineering Team

===========================


Outsourced EVERYTHING, phone & engineering support, on 2nd and 3rd shifts EST.

Stay FAR away from any company that owns more than one company in WEBhosting land, if you want sanity in your life.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

No comments:

"HEY, dude! What"s with the name change?"

I took the name from a company that was apparently - for 6 months - either out of business or freakishly absent from the web, adding further mystery and intrigue to the WWW, and my lawyer advised me that since I do not sell products using this blog and websidestory.com does, I do not have to give them my blog name. So I will not. Not that there will be any future problems from said company, it's just that MY lawyer advises ME, and I usually follow that advise. Good hunting and be thinking Caddyshack 2 if you need to know what my lawyer is like.

copyrights

copyright 2005+ by Dan Prowse