My more "legit" side

Saturday, August 19, 2006

One word Movie Titles of Movies that EXIST and You Have Sat Through 'til Fini - or NOT NEVER !

Some fool I know got me hooked - DAMN YOU, STEVENS!

The rules now are:

1. One word (no articles; a, an, or the in front of the title - not allowed to qualify)
2. If the movie is not in general release, provide a link to it's site or MSN Movies (etc.) or iMDB
3. Try and honor the game: Think of the movie first, THEN check it for spelling / article usage on iMDB
4. Numbers SHOULD count; ie 2001, 1984 (even if alternate spelling of numbers don't count - an exception would be the movie "Thirteen" which is not known in publicity as "13", although "66" would count, as Route 66: as the remake became known, but "Route 66": the original movie made BEFORE the 60's TV show of the same name, would not count as a one-word title.
5. One word titles can count twice if there is a known or Euro-release title that is ALSO one word. In addition, I think we should count as good, titles like: Batman and Batman - counts once for the TV show spoof feature length movie and again for the newer comic-book-styled version.
6. One-word titles that contain two words should count as a one word title: "Scarface", "Slapshot", etc.
7. We should allow the inclusion of any stage play or stage Musical to count as a movie if it actually was made into a feature, rather than counting an old BBC taping or filming of actors on the stage in a play.
8. one-word titled documentaries should count (but only if it is the release t itle, not the working title
9. Published titles of one-worded Movie titles in production, as long as you are reasonably certain that title is NOT only the working title.
10. To add fairness, I have indicated in the title that we should have actually taken the time to VIEW the movie! (pls indicate when you have NOT seen it by typing NOT next to the title. This could also mean that you simply would never want to watch it!)

I have created another game called: One-word Movie TItles of Movies that never existed, as far as you know, but SHOULD be made! You must include some sort of treament or description or casting suggestions - just to make it more fun. If you ae a member of the Writers Guild, do not attempt such a game.

----------------------------
My kick-off; as you add your comments, once they are approved, they will drop into the list on a time-entered priority (when you first submitted, not the time when I get around to approving your comment! That wouldn't be fair.)

The Kick-Off:

Date: Aug 17, 2006 5:54 PM

Single syllable rule?
Now working titles - only rel titles
This took me about half hour - I thought of name of film I have actually seen, then double checked in iMDB to be sure---

The original rules did NOT indicate only one submission per cutomer, so...

2001
Orgazmo (not really a pattern here, I just stuck that in because 2001 makes me horny in a technical sense, and it is a film about a film maker who stars in a XXX-sci-fi flick.)
2010
1945
Aida
Smoke
Whore (starring Theresa Russell)
Evita
Equus
Tap
Brazil
Mafia (B movie, not "The Mafia" - different movie)
Respect
Vegas
Eraser
Thing (The Thing is different movie)
Frogs
Powder
Alfie
Heist (by D. Mamet (NEVER a stage play), often INCORRECTLY listed as The Heitst, but NOT))
TOBOR
Ben
Willard
Flash (Indy 2004)
Godzila
Dracula
Frankenstein
Jack
Junk
Fatso
Poker (any version !)
Jake
Scanners
Preditor
Vampire
Blade
Alien
Aliens
Texas (doc of Rusell Crowe's band, but was rel wide)
Arthur
Excalibur
Thief (w James Caan)
Ghandi



---------
NOT SURE IF THE FOLLOWING QUALIFY:
(But, then if not, Heartbreakers/Spaceballs would not either)

Earthquake
Scarface
Outbreak
Batman
Catwoman
Goldfinger

Rollerball
Stuntman
Flashback (the comedy)
Waterboys (comedy MartArts)
Brainstorm
Cowboy (in production, but is planned release title)



--------------------
Here's a stretch:
P.C.U.
C.H.U.D.
Nikita (in the UK - wouldnt count for the US release title, because that would be "Little Nikita")

------------------END first bout

------------------START second bout

The FOOL says: "You know... I thought of ALL of those... but I think the one I listed is appropriate in reference to the one above it." That fool would be Magoo. What luck you must have. Good for you. Bastard.


THAT was NOT one of the RULES at first. OK, I can play that way. And, besides, somtimes you are my supervisor, oh great wise one!

Rule 11. The name must be - in some way - connected to the name above it.

No. I say , no. That's fine, butI would have to be much more organized to pull that off. No. Not unless someone has an idea to make that work. I could make this a seperate blog so that it could accept comments without approval (spam, spam, spam, spam). Still no. Unless someone else has thought of a way it could be done. Cut & Paste the list so far, and....no, that still would not work. Dammit!

On the other hand, oh wisenhiemer Magoo, I think I could make a case for a certain symetry in my choices, too. Hmmmm. Yes, I see a pattern. HA!

----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Aug 17, 2006 8:16 PM

And one more 45 minute sprint (15 minutes if I don't count checking iMBD (had to eliminate one, it wasn't in iMDB)

Cinderella
Dumbo ( I don't mean Dumbo Drop)
Cinderfella
Alladin
Fallen
Herbie! (60s original was longer title)
Pinnochio
Airplane!
Goodfellas
B.A.P.S.
D.E.B.S.
Spy (2006, straight to DVD)
Spawn
Chicago
FAME!
MAME!
Taps
Hotel
Psycho
Tightrope
Cars
Big
Kundun
SHOT (aka Focus, both one!)
Unbreakable (w Willis and Jackson)
Assassins
Sparticus
Hercules
Zardoz
Prime
Benji
Bingo (twice, one for the game and one for the dog!)
Airline (the drama that spawned the spoof, Airplane!)
Shipwreck
Shipwrecked
Stranded
HELP! (the beatles)
Jason (And they got Halloween?)
Punchline
America
Colors
Lolita
Rope
Vertigo
Alfred (about A. Nobel, the prize winning professor)
Scream
Drumline
Baby (3 times !)
Coma
Cujo!
Storm (twice for me)
Volcano
CATS (did I repeat myself)
Mallrats (is actually one word in all credits and releases)
Hostage
Stowaway
Hairspray
Evolution (the comedy)
Underworld (no :Evolution version)
Candyman (The Candyman is another movie NOT by Barker)
Striptease
Entrapment
Se7en (tough call, rule-wise)
Cop (J Woods 1988 or 80)
Silverado
Driven (Reynolds/Stallone)
Bean
Nickelodeon
Moonstruck ('87, never saw the original)
Moonraker
E.T.
Darkness
Star! (J Andrews, the Musical)
Gaslight (1940, but also remake in production in 2007 for 2008 rel)
Rope (1940 aka "Alfred Hitchcock's Rope" - USA (complete title, also the original play was re-cast as a Movie for television in England in 1939 - which I have never seen, nor have I heard of until iMBD research)
Tightrope (C Eastwood 1984, but this one-word title could count 5 times - for movie!)
Lifeforce (yuck)
Ghost
Casper (one word as a feat film rel)
Robots
RV
Insomnia
Flubber (early version original, palease)
Hamlet (Two times)
Awakenings
Toys
Popeye
Zulu
1984 (tough call , but US listing)
Burglar (and not proud of having seen the whole thing!)
Carrie
K-Pax (argueable as a one-word, isn't it?)
K2 (Arguable for similar naming reasons)
Misery
Wiseguy
Wolfen
Lassie
Ultraviolet (Fang - whatever)
Gladiator
Magic (two times - completely different movies)
Sorcerer
Merlin
Highlander
Ghostbusters (working title was The Ghost Busters, I believe)
Runaway (Crichton)
Alibi (james mason)
Lolita (, just once, with james mason, I refuse to count any remake)
Sliver (Sharon Stone)
Mandingo
Rebecca
Roxanne
Jumnanji (translated, is 2 or 3 words)
D.O.A. (Quaid version - remake, original better, but I believe was billed as the three-word title)
Houseguest (again, not too proud, Sinbad)
Tremors
Bewitched
Exotica
Gattaca
Gothika
Beaches


Mistake from prvious submission-

Fog is not a movie, The Fog is. Oops.

All these I have viewed, and there's many more.
I did no go into google and type "One word Movie titles" as I am sure there would plenty for the pickin!

ADDED 1-19-2007

Topkapi



-----------Below is from the original list that got me hooked on this:

Date: Aug 5, 2006 6:38 PM

Body: One word movie titles
Think of a movie with EXACTLY one word in the title. No articles (a, an, the. So 'The Matrix' doesn't count.)

1. Michael - Clerks
2. Mariah ~ Fargo
3. Christine ~ Kalifornia
4. Katie~ Gladiator
5. Darlene - Fear
6. Heather-Friday (One of the greatest movies!)
7. Deanna - Halloween
8. Serena-Shrek
9. Jenni~ Fletch
10. Scotty ~ Saw
11. Angel ~ Platoon
12. Raul ~ Hitch
13. Shae ~ RENT
14. RecieKay~ Dogma
15. Brent~ Spaceballs
16. Rhea~Chode
17. alberto~gummo
18. lucy~jaws
19. *Wendy* - Polyester
20. SISSIE~ HEAD *by :the monkeys*
21.SONYAZSAR~tombstone
22.OB1~ Thursday (best movie ever)
23. J.P. - DOLEMITE
24. shane--mask-- you gotta love a movie about ugly guys and blind women
25. Katie- Blow
26. Stephanie~beetlejuice
27. Shannon~crash
28. layla~Serindipity
29.Hudson--Shaft
30. Tori---- "Heartbreakers"
31. Tracie---"Cellular"
32. Amanda -- "Stay"
33. Emily--Memento
34 Jenny--- "Swingers"
35. Omolo -- "Snatch" (Tee hee!)
36. Magoo -- "Porky's"


---------------
I was shocked to see that shane didn't also pick "Shane" - the Western!
And that's what got me hooked.
Dammit!

HOOK, there's another one. This game is sick.

I could go on. Next update - I'll just comment to myself newer one's.

2 comments:

D to the P said...

Crash (about the fascination of crash scene aftermath)

WIND (Matt Modine stars)
Oliver
Hostel (NOT)
Hoodwinked (NOT)
Ransom
Freedomland
Shaft
Superfly
Scorcher
Firewall (NOT)
BLAST!
Warlock
Holes
Forbidden
Safehouse
Safe (NOT)
Earth
Speed
Chess
Trekkers
Papion
Solaris
FM
Sandpebbles
Stand

Anonymous said...

quite a list:)

"HEY, dude! What"s with the name change?"

I took the name from a company that was apparently - for 6 months - either out of business or freakishly absent from the web, adding further mystery and intrigue to the WWW, and my lawyer advised me that since I do not sell products using this blog and websidestory.com does, I do not have to give them my blog name. So I will not. Not that there will be any future problems from said company, it's just that MY lawyer advises ME, and I usually follow that advise. Good hunting and be thinking Caddyshack 2 if you need to know what my lawyer is like.

copyrights

copyright 2005+ by Dan Prowse